Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile, and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world’s largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
We are on a mission to define, develop, and deliver incredible solutions that delight our audiences and enable us and our partner's brands to be smarter. In doing so, we will change how we do business and how the outside world views Dow Jones. We are a unified collective of intelligent thinkers and IP builders, modern makers and agile do-ers — strategically proactive and nimbly reactive in how we work. The Solutions engine is responsible for:
- Across-the-board strategic services - for clients, our businesses and our brands
- Internal consulting & planning support
- External consulting services
- Creation of complex client solutions
- Creative and production operations & services
- DJ Custom Studios - our custom content newsroom
- DJ Event Management - our event management team.
The Custom Content team is made up of ‘newsroom’ of storytelling experts - Dow Jones’ most unique competency. Representing the highest editorial capability, the Custom Content team will provide original and creative editorial ideas and execution to our custom studio offering and beyond - including thought leadership platforms.
As our next teammate, you will:
- Be ready and eager to step into and help manage within a fast-paced, deadline driven, team environment to produce state-of-the art custom content executions for brands.
- Work closely with Creative Directors, Art Directors, Copywriters, Project Managers, Front-End and Back-End Developers, as well as WSJ Ad Ops, on global, national, regional and local scales.
- Bring thoughtful, fresh and polished interactive design samples along with a proactive desire to stay on the leading edge of this ever-evolving media environment.
- Be comfortable presenting ideas to both internal and external teams alike.
- Raise the game with a creative approach to everything you do, offering innovative ideas, and strong design skills.
- Up-to-speed with the latest interactive technology/capability and always hungry for more.
- Lean on your extensive Agency background building web campaigns for clients to ensure we deliver flawlessly and on schedule.
- Effortlessly showcase hand-coding standards-based, CSS-driven HTML pages, leveraging MVC frameworks, CSS pre-compilers, HTML templating frameworks, unit tests, dependency management and task/deployment automation
- Inspire team members to continually build upon their capabilities by identifying skill gaps and providing mentorship.
- Introduce new techniques and frameworks to our core competency, differentiating our creative expressions from our competitors.
- Offer technical guidance during pre-sale process (ideation and estimate/pricing)
- Capably prioritize and manage work, adhering to critical project timelines in a fast-paced environment.
- Advise team to ensure optimal user experience for a campaign.
- Hands-on prototyping or fully delivering custom content web campaigns
- Help tune process and technical approach to optimize build cycles.
Skills & Experience:
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 10+ years of focused web development experience, an outstanding portfolio and fresh ideas
- Extensive experience building single-page apps (SPA)
- Proven track-record for building robust web applications following Responsive Web Design (RWD) patterns
- Expert understanding of browser compatibility resolution (e.g. progressive enhancement, graceful degradation) and debugging approaches
To stand out:
- Fluency in Node.js
- Experience working with Wordpress to publish CMS-driven content
- Experience building web apps following modular architecture
- Proven track-record mentoring team members
- Understanding of SEO standards & best practices