Sales Manager, Executive
Who we are and what we do?
The newly developed Professional Membership team is responsible for recruiting and retaining members of the world’s foremost influential business membership. We equip ambitious professionals with the essential intelligence and tools they need to better lead their industries, grow their businesses and advance their careers. We provide a highly specialized service that builds on the power of our journalism, the insight of our analysis, the ambition of our audience and the continuity of community.
The Executive Sales Manager will be responsible for introducing the portfolio of the Wall Street Journal Executive memberships and events to an assigned territory comprised of large and strategic corporations and PR firms/agencies. The successful candidate will discover, build and maintain strong relationships in the corporate market. He / she will work closely with corporate communication executives as well as internal and external PR executives to convey the value and benefits of Wall Street Journal membership. This essential role contributes valuable revenue and also delivers subscriber growth, a key pillar to our company goals.
The candidate will also manage a team of salespeople. This will include creating targets and monitoring performance against targets for the team. The successful candidate will be able to help others maximize opportunity within their territories, develop their pitches and prioritize their work.
The position will require managing the team and owning an individual territory. The candidate will be expected to build a pipeline through successful outbound calls and email communications. The primary audience is corporate communications, PR companies, marketing and offices of C-level executives and through telephone and in-person meetings, the candidate must gain an understanding of their objectives and position WSJ C-Suite memberships as solutions to address them. This work will involve aggressive prospecting to increase our memberships.
Additionally, the sales manager will build consensus among external and internal groups to promote WSJ executive membership. The sales manager will be responsible for providing feedback regularly and participating in special projects where needed. This includes gathering intelligence about their market and suggesting custom strategies, communicating actions and sharing best practices with the team. This role involves collaborating with DJ teams to grow memberships overall.
- 5-10+ years sales experience. Experience selling to PR Firms/Communications contacts in the conferences/events space, preferred.
- College degree (or equivalent), preferably in marketing, communications, or a business discipline.
- 2-5 years experience managing a sales team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including proven presentation skills. Includes ability to speak effectively with all levels of management.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Understands how to work with different people and different working styles across the organization and inside member companies.
- Positive, energetic and dynamic self-starter.
- Ability to convey a sense of urgency.
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Resourceful style; willingness to take initiative, manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
- Sets a strong example for others by working collaboratively, and in a congenial, professional manner.