The Strategic Services team provides key strategic functions across Data Strategy, including Business Management, Content Strategy, Metadata Management, Quality and Solutions. The Strategic Services group houses all non-research capabilities within Data Strategy.
The Metadata Management group is responsible for the development, maintenance and application and of our proprietary Dow Jones Intelligent Identifiers taxonomy in Dow Jones products and services. The team is responsible also for using semantic and natural language processing tools to extract key data elements from the Factiva archive to aid internal researchers and potentially for future commercial use.
The Manager, Extraction reports to the Director, Metadata Management. The individual will be part of Strategic Services’ Metadata Management team.
The Manager is responsible for ensuring a regional team of specialists, based in Princeton, carry out their responsibilities. Working under the direction of the Director, the Manager establishes key performance metrics and manages and tracks the team’s progress against performance targets, prioritizing work and balancing resources.
The Manager implements strategies for the use of structured data, data formats, and Dow Jones Intelligent Identifiers throughout Dow Jones. This involves working with members of the Content Enrichment team as well as other functional areas within Data Strategy, Product, and Technology.
- Directly supervise team of specialists responsible for ensuring content is processed, extracted and indexed to a consistently high standard.
- Ensure special autocoding or extraction projects are carried out to deadline and high standards.
- Ensure end-user testing of tools and applications are completed as required and perform any gap analysis as needed.
- Works closely with Business, Technology and Data Strategy stakeholders--including Strategic Services’ Solutions and Risk & Compliance Research and Data & Content Management--to improve workflows, streamline data, and effectively manage resources.
- Engage with Content Strategists and Solutions to identify ways to maximize the use of existing metadata, as well as to uncover new opportunities
- Guide the work of Extraction, Coding Specialists as they develop new types of metadata such as authority files, taxonomies and mappings
- Evaluate accuracy of automated classification of content and search results
- Propose new ways to leverage Dow Jones metadata and taxonomy assets
- Develop team members and maximize career opportunities for key personnel
Skills & Experience
- At least five years demonstrated experience with metadata
- Proven ability to manage resources (directly or indirectly)
- Highly reliable, responsible and accountable for team and individual goals.
- Detail-oriented and ability to prioritize required
- Understanding of Factiva product and services.
- Understanding of Dow Jones Intelligent Identifiers
- Experience with automatic classification and taxonomy management tools
- Familiarity with XML standards and applications
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-moving, multi-project environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and to high quality standards.
- Positive outlook on change and flexible approach to work environment and structure.